About MCHS

About MCHS

Boasting more than a century of tradition, Millington Central High School serves the academic, extracurricular, and social needs of roughly 1000 students from Millington and northwest Shelby County. The MCHS faculty is comprised of dedicated, highly qualified teachers who offer a wide range of college preparatory, career and technical, and fine arts courses. Students also can take advantage of honor courses and AP classes. The school’s large Navy JROTC unit teaches leadership, discipline and organization. 

Students at Millington Central High School, “Home of the Trojans”, also participate in a vast array of athletic and extracurricular offerings. Recent MCHS athletic teams have won district titles and competed for state titles. Numerous MCHS student athletes have gone on to compete at the college and professional levels. The clubs and honor society offer every student the chance to get involved and work with others on community service projects.

Perhaps most importantly, students at MCHS learn to interact, compete, and succeed in an increasingly global world. With one of the most diverse student bodies in Shelby County, MCHS is a school where young men and women of every background can find a place to demonstrate their talents and pursue their interests. The school’s caring faculty both challenges and supports students so they can achieve success. For more information about Millington Central High School, please call us at 901-873-8100.

History

Soon after Millington was founded in the 1870′s, a reading school was established in a wood frame structure on this site by the Shelby County Board of Education. The building was surrounded by woods. Soon, enrollment grew until a second room was added, also a second teacher. These two rooms were later enlarged with four downstairs, and a concert hall upstairs. In the 1890′s the school was organized into grades. A 1907 brick structure was razed in 1916 and a brick and terra cotta “Beaux-Arts” style edifice was erected on the site and stood until 2005. The school had eleven grades. The twelfth grade class was authorized in 1910 and by 1911 two students received high school diplomas.

Some other firsts for MCHS were …

  • The first brick school was built in 1907.
  • It was the first school in Shelby County to have a gymnasium. The gymnasium was built in 1922 with funds raised by the citizens of Millington.
  • It was the first school in this area to have a transportation system and hot lunches.
  • The first 16mm projector in Shelby County Schools was used at Millington Central High School.
  • In 1947, MCHS had the first lighted football game in the county.
  • MCHS was admitted to membership in the Southern Association of colleges and secondary schools. It was the first school in Memphis or Shelby County to be accredited and the ninth school in the state of Tennessee to achieve this distinction.
  • MCHS was the first high school in Shelby to have a computer with internet access in every classroom.

The New Millington Central High School building provides modern, code-compliant facilities which will include: sixty teaching stations, special classrooms for newspaper and yearbook, art, choral music, a computer lab, the main office and guidance. Most of the Wilkinsville Road frontage will remain a pastoral setting.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.